Governors Island is an island located just 730m from Lower Manhattan near the heart of New York City, accessible by ferry. For nearly two centuries, Governors Island was closed from the public, operating as a military installation.
The city took sole possession of the island in 2010, with the goal of creating open space, cultural and educational programs and mixed-use development.
The plans for the use of Governors Island have recently progressed; In April 2022, a Request for Proposal for a climate center was given as part of NYC Mayor Adams’ “Rebuild, Renew, Reinvent: A Blueprint for NYC’s Economic Recovery”.
Two months ago, in April 2023 the Stony Brook consortium (known as the New York Climate Exchange) was selected as the finalist for the development of the climate center. The project spend is estimated at 700 million USD and construction is set to start at 2025.
The new, upcoming Climate Center on Governors Island will include:
- An academic or research anchor institution to study the impacts of climate change
- A living laboratory and cultural uses that showcase solutions
- A platform for environmental justice organizations and non-profits to research, host programs and convenings, and connect with New Yorkers
- Space for commercial innovation supporting technological advancement in the climate field
- Dormitories and/or faculty housing to support an academic anchor institution and create a uniquely immersive community for learning and innovation
- Convening space that offers opportunities for New Yorkers and visitors to engage in conversations about climate change Business Finland has ongoing dialogue with key stakeholders developing the climate center. The developers are eager to investigate Finnish low carbon built environment solutions.
- Low carbon built environment
Solutions or Products Needed by Customer
- Low carbon building materials
- Digital infastructure for buildings
- Energy efficient technology for buildings
TF Activities Available for Finnish Companies
Team Finland Delegation to New York City September 12-14th, including an engagement with the developers of Governors Island Advice and introduction provided by Business Finland – pls be in contact with Mr Bart Kotlarek, to get more details.